Monday, June 06, 2005

The "One Thing" in Life!

The cowboy guide character (Curly) in the movie ‘City Slickers’ says to one of the riders (played by Billy Crystal) “only one thing matters in life; everything else is unimportant – and you have to find that 'one thing' for yourself”. Before seeing that movie I have wondered what’s the aim of me in this world? Since seeing the movie I am trying to find that ‘one thing’ to go after.

My first thought was happiness. As I analyze about happiness, I see that the feeling or intensity of the happiness deepens by the lack of it. The happiness in achieving anything is directly proportional to the lack of happiness in not achieving the same. So if we take the space of happiness/sadness, the mean (or average) is the state of non-happiness (neither + or -) and the variations on either side dependant on the individual’s state of mind. How much I react to any situation determines the intensity of happiness or sadness. With such a state, there is no point in pursuing happiness as it is likely I am going to end up with sadness chasing happiness!

So what should I go after? Knowledge? Satisfaction? Service? I guess whatever it may be, the criteria for choosing something should stem from this theory of ‘relativity’ – apologies to Einstein! The ‘thing’ to go after should have a pleasant impact on the ‘+’ and ‘-’ sides. In other words if I go after ‘knowledge’, then the lack of it should also give comfort and pleasantness! Is it possible to have such a thing, which gives you comfort by its presence as well as its absence? I don’t know yet! I am still searching!!

1 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger jingle said...

Never heard of such a definition for happiness! You sure have confused Einstein fans..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home